January 31, 2012

knitting more socks,,,

I am beginning to think that this addiction to sock knitting has gotten out of hand...  Until this morning, I had 3 separate sock pairs in progress, 2 of which are original designs.  I just finished 3 other pairs in the past 2 weeks, AND I do have some non-sock patterns as well that I am working on (or is that supposed to be working on).  But nooooo, this morning, while trolling thru the threads of my favorite group on Ravelry (Sock Knitters Anonymous, what else?) I saw the perfect pattern for some home dyed yarn that i just finished dyeing the other day... So, since that thread's cast on expires tonight at midnight (EST), I just HAD to cast them on TODAY...  They are going to be lovely, and the yarn is wonderful to work with, and the pattern is fairly easy, so I can rationalize this cast on.  For now.  Unfortunately, At the same time that the January thread's cast on expires, the cast on begins for February, and I have a pair of socks planned for that month too.  I will probably go ahead and cast them on sometime tomorrow, which will bring me back up to 5 separate sock projects again.  Like I said, I think the addiction is taking over my life again...

Of course, as it now stands, only one of these pairs of socks is for someone other than me.  One of the new designs I am working on are for one of my Ravelry friends,  I am really pleased with how it's looking, and I think it will be a popular pattern when I get it finished, so this is a good thing.  I'd love to get some testknitters started on it, but the recipient does not know what it looks like yet, and I'd hate to have someone accidently show it to her before she gets the finished socks, so I need to wait to ask for testknitters until i finish the pattern and send her the socks.

The other original design is a pair of colorwork greyhounds that I am designing to celebrate Awesome, the greyhound we just lost in December (3 days before Christmas).  I really need to work on these, because they were January cast ons too, and I only have until Feb 28th to finish them.  Only I have had to frog back to the cuff as I need to work on the design again - the nose was not looking like a greyhound to me...

The other pair is a test knit for another designer who I am helping with the English version of her pattern.  This means more editing and pattern writing in addition to knitting the pattern.  This also takes time, and it's time without needles in my hands.  I'd rather knit than write at this point in my life, so guess what keeps getting put off?  Hint:  it isn't the knitting...  Now I am adding a pair of socks with lots of cables (the last Jan cast on) and one that plays with self-striping yarn by making the stripes ripple and wave around the socks, and I can't decide if I want to do an already established pattern or devise one of my own, that has other elements in it as well... (I have another pattern idea...)  I will probably go with the new pattern that is in my head.  This will of course, mean even MORE pattern writing is in the near future.  SIGH.  See wa=hat I mean about addicting hobby?  

No comments:

Post a Comment